Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Live Chat

Board index » The Libertines » Libertine II

Post subject: Application for official membership to the MCoS
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:15 pm 
Exemplar - Site Admin

If you have completed all the requirements for Libertine II and you would like to become an official member of the Modern Church of Satan please send an e-mail to: mcosadmin@gmail.com with "Membership request" as the subject line.

You will be mailed an electronic application form which must be filled out and returned via e-mail.

Once your application has been processed you will receive your official membership certificate and membership card.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:58 pm 
Libertine II

Anything special you want in the email (address, phone number, etc.)?

EDIT: I'm having a typical Monday. I realize now that all the information you require will be in the application. It's been one of those days and it's only 10AM.

"I went to god just to see and I was looking at me. Saw heaven and hell were lies. When I'm god, everyone dies." - MM

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:48 am 

I can't say I like this very much. The thing that got me into the Modern Church of Satan was the fact that their was no official membership. I remember it saying "You simply state that you are a member, and it is so". That's how any Satanic Church should be.

I loved that, it's a break from groups like the Church of Satan that charge expensive fees for meaningless membership cards that don't make you any more of a Satanist. At least you're not charging for it, I'll give you that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:22 am 
Exemplar - Site Admin

Official membership has allways been part of the MCoS since the beginning.

We just waited a while to implement it for logistical reasons.

There are those that want or require official membership - and this is for them. If you are one of the people that don't require it then good for you.

Official members can also choose to get notified of other members in their area so they can hook up and/or form grotto's if they want to.

We also have members that don't interact with this board in any way, being a member of our cyber grotto is not a requirement for being a member of the MCoS.

"Learn to accept, even welcome pain - for if you do not fear pain... if the thought of physical, emotional or spiritual anguish cannot dissuade you from the true path - then no enemy, however strong, can defeat you...no struggle, however long, can deter you...nor circumstance, however wrong, can keep you from your destiny."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:38 am 

Fair enough, didn't know it actually had a purpose. It sounds usefull, I just sent mine in.

Post subject: Re: Application for official membership to the MCoS
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:53 am 
Libertine VII

Forgive my impetuous nature, and I apologize in advance if this doth offend, but...

A flock of sheep is still a flock of sheep, even if they're black.

However, an organization certainly serves it's own purposes, and if you can get others on board, which is clearly the case here, then you deserve the proverbial cupie doll! I can understand the reasons behind the creation of the MCOS, I just never understood the need to join a church. Yes, yes, we are social animals. But do you really need a title and a membership card to "be somebody?"

Gotta run...fries are up.

Oph

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:49 am 

We don't really need it, but some people like it. Besides, even little red cards have their uses. (Just not $200 worth of uses.)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:50 am 
Exemplar

Ask anyone in any sort of social work type of role and they will tell you that one of the base human needs is to be accepted. The membership card does this. Yes, we all know it doesn't really, but it's nice to have something tangible that says "You belong here".

And as Core pointed out, it is heartfelt, not just something you pay for and get. It actually means something.

Of course, if it doesn't do it for you, or you feel you don't want or need it, then you don't have to apply for it. That's the beauty of it. It's there if you want it, but you can be a valued member of our little clan without having to get it.

One of the main things that you should know as a Satanist is how people work and how you can manipulate them to acheive what you want. Therefore, although it may not appeal to you personally, it's good to know that some people value things like this.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:50 pm 
Libertine VI

GrymLord wrote:
Ask anyone in any sort of social work type of role and they will tell you that one of the base human needs is to be accepted. The membership card does this. Yes, we all know it doesn't really, but it's nice to have something tangible that says "You belong here".

Grym, when I read that last sentence I felt all warm and gooey inside... 8)

For me, I spent a lot of time thinking I was alone in my beliefs and avoided placing myself in a category, not believing there was one that my beliefs would fit into.

Then I found the MCoS, felt that my beliefs meshed well with the ideas here and finally placed myself in a category. I decided to apply for official membership as a way of mentally and tangibly marking my choice to label myself as a Modern Satanist, and commit to living my life to that standard from then on. The card serves as a reminder to myself of my choice and for that reason it has meaning.
Also, the Libertine certificates serve as a reminder of recognition that I have passed a certain level in my own development. They are for me to keep track of my own journey, not so I can flash them to others for special perks.

If you don't feel that you need them, then you don't have to get them. Its as simple as that.

www.myspace.com/lyriasdungeon

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:03 pm 
Exemplar

Lyria. Everything you just said above - QFT.

In fact, you and I are so scarily alike sometimes. But, THAT is the reason that I love MCoS. It's being around other people that are like you at least in some respect.

It makes it so much easier to be able to bounce thoughts of people when they are on the same page already.

There is another reason why the cards are good. It not only shows that you are accepted by the group, but also, that you accept the group.

I for one and very proud to call myself a member of the Modern Church of Satan. Yes, respect due to ALV and his teachings, but he's dead and a lot of his ideas have dated badly.

This Church is keeping it alive and through the awesomeness of it's members, helping people realize their own goals and objectives. I'm sure people like Narin and I would have made it anyway by believing in ourselves, but it's with the constant encouragement and advice that we have not only been able to do it quickly, but also proudly.

It's great being accepted by the group, but it's greater being part of this awesome group.

(Apologies if this makes Lyria gooey again :wink: )

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:24 pm 
Libertine II

GrymLord wrote:

AS will be happy. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:55 am 
Libertine VI

GrymLord wrote:

Thanks for saying all of that Grym, and yes it did make me all gooey again, but no need to apologize. :D

Myndmelder:
Quote:
AS will be happy. :mrgreen:

:roll: One track mind this boy has :P
"gooey" MM.... the word was "gooey," though I could think of a few other adjectives that might have a bit more impact... And I can assure you that the Autumnal one IS happy! :twisted:

www.myspace.com/lyriasdungeon

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:53 am 
Libertine VII

GrymLord wrote:

I for one and very proud to call myself a member of the Modern Church of Satan. Yes, respect due to ALV and his teachings, but he's dead and a lot of his ideas have dated badly.

This Church is keeping it alive and through the awesomeness of it's members, helping people realize their own goals and objectives. I'm sure people like Narin and I would have made it anyway by believing in ourselves, but it's with the constant encouragement and advice that we have not only been able to do it quickly, but also proudly.

Please, humor this new Libertine...
How is this "church" keeping the dated ideas of Anton LaVey alive. How are you all making it better? What are you doing outside of this site to take Satanism into the "modern" age? Where is the public literature? Where is the physical presence within the world? Or is this yet another members-only church that spends its time creating second-life sycophants?

How is this "church" helping it's congregation encouraging/helping people reach their goals? By listing accomplishments like secondary education and suggested reading lists to dullards who wouldn't have otherwise thought that reading might help them grow?

I was previously involved in a well-organized Satanic collective that placed no lofty titles on its members. We all served as the governing council and spent years collecting original essays, grimoires, rituals, and the creation of powerful meme complexes in order to incite change and focus within not only our inner circle, but our "congregation" of free-thinkers as well. Furthermore, our efforts went beyond "Satanic" circles and strove to enlighten non-Satanic people with the tenets of self-actualization, wealth, success, and social responsibility. We used MySpace, Friendster, Yahoo Groups, and dozens of religious forums of many faiths (including this one) to spread our ideas. In almost every instance, we clandestinely gained credibility and converts to new ways of thinking among every-day people without them ever having to hear the word "Satan" in some cases.

THAT, is action. THAT, is taking Satanism to the world, albeit surreptitiously.

Will our MCoS leaders take it so far? Or are we here merely to socialize?

Any questions can be forwarded to the maître d':

Ophvedius

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 am 
Exemplar - Site Admin

not again.

these questions have been answered in other threads, over and over and over.......

Grym seems to have struck a never with you there Ophvedius.

I think what Grym meant was that we are keeping the underlying idea of Satanism alive - not LaVeys specific dated ideas. But i'll let Grym respond.

There is one thing i don't understand Ophvedius - why did you leave your well-organized Satanic collective if it was doing such great things? And then, why join this church if you feel we are not doing anything substantial? It doesn't make sense.

and...

Public literature? who is the public and why do they need literature?

"Learn to accept, even welcome pain - for if you do not fear pain... if the thought of physical, emotional or spiritual anguish cannot dissuade you from the true path - then no enemy, however strong, can defeat you...no struggle, however long, can deter you...nor circumstance, however wrong, can keep you from your destiny."

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:04 am 
Exemplar

Ophvedius wrote:
Please, humor this new Libertine...

Please, allow me to answer this....

Ophvedius wrote:
How is this "church" keeping the dated ideas of Anton LaVey alive. How are you all making it better? What are you doing outside of this site to take Satanism into the "modern" age? Where is the public literature? Where is the physical presence within the world? Or is this yet another members-only church that spends its time creating second-life sycophants?

By living up to the spirit of Satanism, not the letter of the law. By moving on from outdated ideals like the inherent sexism and using new technology for congregation instead of grottos. Only a few examples. If you read the less inflamatory and more itellectual threads you'd find this out.

The MCoS is, of course, not a members-only church. You wouldn't be here if it was.

Ophvedius wrote:
How is this "church" helping it's congregation encouraging/helping people reach their goals? By listing accomplishments like secondary education and suggested reading lists to dullards who wouldn't have otherwise thought that reading might help them grow?

Again, the Libertine system was designed to help improve yourself both intellectually and with your journey on the LHP as well as raising your awareness of original LaVeyan Satanism. Also, we discuss issues and provide each others view points and advice that help our own personal journey.

Ophvedius wrote:
I was previously involved in a well-organized Satanic collective that placed no lofty titles on its members. We all served as the governing council and spent years collecting original essays, grimoires, rituals, and the creation of powerful meme complexes in order to incite change and focus within not only our inner circle, but our "congregation" of free-thinkers as well. Furthermore, our efforts went beyond "Satanic" circles and strove to enlighten non-Satanic people with the tenets of self-actualization, wealth, success, and social responsibility. We used MySpace, Friendster, Yahoo Groups, and dozens of religious forums of many faiths (including this one) to spread our ideas. In almost every instance, we clandestinely gained credibility and converts to new ways of thinking among every-day people without them ever having to hear the word "Satan" in some cases.

THAT, is action. THAT, is taking Satanism to the world, albeit surreptitiously.

Wow, that sounds great. In fact, so great I don't understand why you left. What happened to them?

By the way, we here are Gods. Our focus is power to the powerful and help to those that deserve it. Without intending to sound elitist, anyone who comes here searching is worth helping out and the rest of the sheep out there will find their way if they look hard enough.

But then, that's my take.

Board index » The Libertines » Libertine II